Resignation of Director of Accreditation, Judy Jondahl, MS, RN
With deep gratitude for all of her excellent contributions to medical assisting accreditation, the MAERB announces that Judy Jondahl, MS, RN has submitted her resignation from the position of MAERB Director of Accreditation. Her last day will be December 18, 2013. Ms. Jondahl states that "after much thought and discussion with my family, I have come to the conclusion that the time has arrived for me to move onto another of life’s adventures, retirement. It is difficult to believe I have worked for 61 years, the last 13 (almost 14) as Director of Accreditation. They have been exciting years, and I value the people I have had the honor to work with in reaching for MAERB’s and my goal of achieving quality education for medical assistants."
Director Jondahl brought the CRB/MAERB into the modern age, streamlining processes and reports with the use of technology. She was pivotal in restructuring policies to ensure fair, unbiased, and uniform review of programs undergoing programmatic accreditation. Educated and trained as a nurse, Ms. Jondahl nevertheless devoted much of her personal, as well as professional, life to the promotion of medical assisting education.
We wish Judy all the best for a long and happy retirement.
Welcome to the Medical Assisting Education Review Board (MAERB)
Medical assisting program directors seeking initial or continuing CAAHEP Accreditation for a medical assisting program, MAERB/CAAHEP Surveyor, and faculty and administration from institutions with CAAHEP accredited medical assisting programs will find a variety of useful information and resources here to help work through the process and continue to meet requirements.
The Medical Assisting Education Review Board
The Medical Assisting Education Review Board is an autonomous unit within the American Association of Medical Assistants Endowment. They complete program reviews, based on the CAAHEP Standards and Guidelines for Accreditation of Educational Programs in Medical Assisting. As the medical assisting Committee on Accreditation of the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP), the MAERB makes accreditation recommendations for the status of accreditation of medical assisting programs.
Additionally, the MAERB fulfills these functions:
- Ongoing review of program compliance and achievement of outcome thresholds
- Regularly reviewing Standards for medical assisting education accreditation
- Development and revision of the core Curriculum for Medical Assistants
- Conducting accreditation workshops for medical assisting educators
- Conducting workshops for MAERB/CAAHEP surveyors to promote consistent review of programs
- Providing medical assisting educators with current information about CAAHEP and MAERB policies and practices for accreditation
Membership on the MAERB includes educators from both public and private institutions, administrators from institutions with accredited medical assisting programs, practicing medical assistants, the public and representatives of their sponsoring organizations, AAMA and AMA. A position description for members of MAERB can be downloaded by clicking on the hyperlink in the left hand pane.
The MAERB Accreditation Department provides staff support to the MAERB in the following activities:
- Developing and implementing strategic plans and policies
- Developing agendas and following up on actions taken at MAERB meetings
- Monitoring compliance with regulatory requirements
- Developing and interpreting accreditation standards
- Coordinating accreditation workshops
- Coordinating the recruitment of volunteers to serve as MAERB/CAAHEP surveyors
- Coordinating training and evaluation of surveyors to promote consistent application of the Standards
- Editing policies, procedural guides and forms for coordination of revisions
- Providing assistance to programs undergoing accreditation
CAAHEP is a nonprofit, allied health education organization whose purpose is to accredit entry-level, allied health education programs. For more information, go to
|20 N. Wacker Drive, Suite 1575
|Chicago, IL 60606