The Medical Assisting Education Review Board is a Committee on Accreditation (CoA) of the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP). MAERB is an autonomous unit within the American Association of Medical Assistants Endowment (AAMAE). The American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) is a sponsoring organization of MAERB. MAERB makes accreditation recommendations for the status of accreditation of medical assisting programs.
Within those accreditation processes, the MAERB fulfills these functions:
- Ongoing review of program compliance and achievement of outcome thresholds
- Regularly reviewing Standards for medical assisting education accreditation
- Development and revision of the core Curriculum for Medical Assistants
- Conducting accreditation workshops for medical assisting educators
- Conducting workshops for MAERB/CAAHEP surveyors to promote consistent review of programs
- Providing medical assisting educators with current information about CAAHEP and MAERB policies and practices for accreditation
The MAERB members are educators from both public and private institutions, administrators from institutions with accredited medical assisting programs, practicing medical assistants, members of the public, and physicians.